Two brothers accused of murdering a man in Torquay have each denied using the knife that inflicted the fatal wounds. Jack and Ben Milton are standing trial for killing Aaron Parrington, 34, during a violent clash in Ellacombe Church Road in September of last year.

Mr Parrington went to their house after issuing threats to beat up Ben Milton. But when he arrived he was set upon by both brothers and stabbed to death, it is alleged.

The prosecution say both defendants used a kitchen knife from their home during the clash and are each responsible for murder. But on the latest day of the trial at Exeter Crown Court the defendants denied holding the blade.

Ben Milton, aged 20, said he was angry when he saw Mr Parrington arrive at his house and start kicking the front door. He had been sitting on steps nearby but ran back to the house with his brother when he saw Mr Parrington being aggressive.

⚠️ Want the latest Devon breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join our WhatsApp group. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice ⚠️

34-year-old Aaron Parrington

There was violence as he fought with another male at the scene but he did not immediately realise Mr Parrington had been stabbed. "I saw him stumbling against a wall like he was drunk," he said.

The trial has heard from a number of witnesses who have described mayhem in the street. One witness said he saw Jack Milton lunge at Mr Parrington with a knife. But Jack Milton told the jury that was not true.

He said his brother Ben had taken a kitchen knife to the scene but "I never saw anybody stabbing." He described his brother as stunned and "looking like a ghost" after Mr Parrington had been stabbed. He admitted losing his temper and going back inside the house to arm himself with a curtain pole which he used to hit Mr Parrington.

Mr Charles Row KC, prosecuting, asked Jack Milton about threats he shouted at the scene. "Did you want him dead?", asked the prosecutor.

"No, no one had to die," he replied. "I was angry. That's what happens if you come around to someone else's door. It's not going to end well for you. You can get killed or seriously hurt, it depends on what people do."

The trial has been told that the background to the violence was the theft of a Trapstar man bag. Mr Parrington blamed Ben Milton and shortly before the violence phoned him and threatened to beat him up.

It is alleged Ben Milton armed himself with a kitchen knife from his home and told his brother about the threats moments before Mr Parrington arrived.

Ben Milton, 19, told the jury he did not know Mr Parrington and was unsure why he was being threatened. He said he and Jack ran to the scene when he saw Mr Parrington kicking his front door. He said he thought he saw Mr Parrington with a knife.

He said during the confrontation he saw Mr Parrington fall to the floor. "I've looked down and seen Aaron on the kerb and Jack stood there." He said he saw a knife on the ground. "It was literally right where he stood."

He said he did not know how the kitchen knife got from his house to the scene. He said his brother was angry and shouting but he was in a state of shock.

Asked if he had stabbed anybody he replied "no".

By the time paramedics arrived they could not save Mr Parrington. He sustained three deep wounds. One to his neck that penetrated 10cm; one to his left chest that was 13cm deep; a third to his lower right chest that was 17cm deep.

He was pronounced dead at the scene at 4.42pm. The brothers were quizzed by police but denied being responsible for the stabbing.

The prosecution say Ben Milton used the knife initially. A witness says he also saw Jack Milton use the knife.

The prosecution say Mr Parrington's death was murder and the defendants acted together in a joint enterprise with the shared intention of killing or causing really serious harm. The violence used, it is alleged, went way beyond self-defence.

The defendants have each pleaded not guilty to murder and having a kitchen knife in public.

The trial continues.